2013 – 67th Annual Tony Awards
Sunday June 9, 2013
Radio City Music Hall
Broadcast on CBS
Executive Producers: Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss, White Cherry Entertainment
Director: Glenn Weiss
Musical Direction: Elliot Lawrence
Writer: Dave Boone, with special material by Paul Greenberg
“Broadway: Where Stars Align”
Neil Patrick Harris
Laura Benanti, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Matthew Broderick, Jon Cryer, Alan Cumming, Jesse Eisenberg, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sally Field, Barrett Foa, Cuba Gooding Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hanks, Megan Hilty, Scarlett Johansson, Anna Kendrick, Jane Krakowski, Patti LuPone, Audra McDonald, Matthew Morrison, Liam Neeson, Bernadette Peters, Oliver Platt, Martha Plimpton, Harold Prince, Zachary Quinto, Andrew Rannells, Mike Tyson, Steven Van Zandt, Sigourney Weaver, and cast members from current running Broadway shows including: Annie, Chicago, Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Newsies, Once and Rock of Ages.
- Opening Number – Host Neil Patrick Harris performed an original song, “Bigger!”, featuring cast members from Annie; A Christmas Story, The Musical; Bring It On: The Musical; Chicago; Jersey Boys; Kinky Boots; The Lion King; Mamma Mia!; Matilda The Musical; Motown The Musical; Once; Pippin; Newsies; Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella; and Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tom Kitt.
- Matilda The Musical – Tony Honor for Excellence in the Theatre recipients Sophia Gennusa, Oona Laurence, Bailey Ryon, Milly Shapiro; Tony-winner Gabriel Ebert; and nominees Bertie Carvel and Lauren Ward joined the company in a medley of “Naughty,” “Revolting Children,” and “When I Grow Up.”
- Bring It On: The Musical – Cast members reunited to show the world that “It’s All Happening.”
- Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella – Nominees Victoria Clark, Santino Fontana, Laura Osnes and the company performed “My Own Little Corner,” “Impossible,” and “Ten Minutes Ago.”
- Motown The Musical – Nominees Charl Brown and Valisia LeKae joined the company in a medley of “Get Ready,” “Dancing in the Street,” “I Want You Back” and “The Love You Save.”
- Annie – Jane Lynch, Lilla Crawford and the Orphans performed “It’s the Hard-Knock Life” and “Little Girls.”
- “Neil and Friends” – Broadway veterans Laura Benanti, Megan Hilty and Andrew Rannells joined Neil Patrick Harris to take a musical look at how theatre artists fare when cast in TV series.
- The Rascals – The band rocked out with their hit song “Good Lovin’.”
- A Christmas Story, The Musical – Dan Lauria, Johnny Rabe, Carloine O’Conner, Luke Spring and company warned, “You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out.”
- Pippin – Matthew James Thomas found his “Corner of the Sky,” and Tony-winners Andrea Martin and Patina Miller joined nominee Terrence Mann and the company in “Magic to Do.”
- The Phantom of the Opera – Samantha Hill and Peter Jöback performed the show’s title number in celebration of its 25 years on Broadway.
- Kinky Boots – Tony-winner Billy Porter and nominees Stark Sands and Annaleigh Ashford led the company in the song “Everybody Say Yeah.”
- Once – Arthur Darvill and cast members of the 2012 Tony Award-winning Best Musical performed “When Your Mind’s Made Up.”
- Closing Number – Neil Patrick Harris recapped the night with past Tony-winner Audra McDonald, accompanied by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The number was written by Mr. Miranda and Thomas Kail.
- In Memoriam – Tony-winner Cyndi Lauper revealed her “True Colors” while remembering Broadway friends who departed in the past year.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jane Krakowski and cast members from Broadway shows appearing in character hosted the presentation of the Creative Awards, which took place prior to and during breaks in the telecast.
- For the fifth consecutive year, the Tony Awards were simulcast live on Clear Channel’s Spectacolor HD screen in Times Square. Hosted by Christine Pedi and sponsored by Nexxus® Salon Hair Care, the event included Broadway karaoke and performances by Patti Murin, “Applause” teens, and cast members of Rock of Ages.
Outstanding Special Class Program 2014
Ricky Kirshner, Executive Producer; Glenn Weiss, Executive Producer; and Neil Patrick Harris, Host/Producer
Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics 2014
“Bigger!” – Music by Tom Kitt, Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special 2014