The American Theatre Wing’s Tony Awards® Presented By:
Presented By:

New York, NY (April 18, 2018) – The Tony Awards announced today that singer, songwriter and Tony nominee Sara Bareilles and Tony Award nominated actor, singer and songwriter Josh Groban will host together the 72nd Annual Tony Awards® live from Radio City Music Hall in New York City, Sunday, June 10th (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network. This will be both Bareilles and Groban’s first time hosting the show. Both starred in Broadway shows last year – Bareilles in the hit show “Waitress,” which she also composed the music and lyrics for, earning her first Tony Award nomination.  Groban starred in “Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812,” for which he received a Tony Award nomination for Best Actor in a Musical. The Tony Awards are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing.  

“The Theater has completely transformed my life in every way possible. I have never felt more embraced and encouraged by a professional community, and I am so grateful for that,” said Sara Bareilles. “I feel incredibly lucky to get to spend an evening celebrating and applauding this outstanding collective of artists, friends, collaborators, and creatives. It is my great honor to join my friend Josh Groban in hosting the Tonys this year, and use the opportunity to simply say a heartfelt ‘thank you’  to this wonderful community...in high heels, with jokes.”

"I am humbled and ecstatic to be co-hosting the Tony Awards this year with such a brilliant artist and wonderful friend, Sara Bareilles. The dedication and inspiration surrounding live theatre gave me my life path as a young kid and the warmth and support of the Broadway community has been the highlight of my career," said Josh Groban.  "So to be at the helm of a night celebrating the best of that theatre with a person I just laugh way too much with, is beyond words.   But I will have words on Tony night!  The best words!   I look forward to flailing about in front of my peers.  It will be with all the love and respect in the world for the room we're lucky enough to be in." 

“Sara and Josh have been taking the music industry by storm for years.  Then just last year, they both made their Broadway debuts, bringing audiences to their feet, night-after-night.   And now, we can’t wait to see what they will do, together, on Sunday, June 10th, when they take the stage at Radio City Music Hall to host the Tony Awards!” said Charlotte St. Martin, President of The Broadway League, and Heather Hitchens, President of the American Theatre Wing.

“Love that these two good friends, musicians, actors, singers, songwriters, Tony nominees and just all around nice humans agreed to host the Tonys,” said Executive Producers Glenn Weiss and Ricky Kirshner.

“Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban both electrified and inspired audiences last year when they brought their incredible talents to Broadway,” said Jack Sussman, Executive Vice President for Specials, Music and Live Events, CBS Entertainment. “These two have great chemistry together and we can't wait to see what they have in store as hosts for this year's Tony Awards."

Sara Bareilles first achieved mainstream critical praise in 2007 with her widely successful hit "Love Song,” which reached No. 1 in 22 countries around the world from her debut album “Little Voice.” Since then, Sara has gone on to receive six Grammy® nominations throughout her career, which include Song of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for “Love Song” and one Album of the Year for her highly acclaimed third studio album, “The Blessed Unrest.” Her book, Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song, was released in the fall of 2015 by Simon & Schuster and is a NY Times best seller. Making her Broadway debut, Sara composed the music and lyrics for “Waitress,” for which she received her first Tony® Award nomination for Best Score and a 2017 Grammy® Award nomination for Best Musical Theater Album. She also made her Broadway acting debut by stepping into the lead role in “Waitress”. “What’s Inside: Songs from Waitress,” her most recent solo studio album, is out on Epic Records. Bareilles was most recently seen playing the iconic role of Mary Magdalene alongside John Legend in NBC’s “Jesus Christ Superstar” LIVE on April 1, 2018. For more information, please visit www.sarabmusic.com.  

Possessing one of the most outstanding and instantly recognizable voices in music, GRAMMY nominated singer, songwriter, and actor Josh Groban has entertained fans across the globe with his multi-platinum albums and DVDs (over 30 million sold worldwide), electrifying live performances, and comedic film and television appearances. The 36-year-old Los Angeles native is the only artist who has had two albums appear on the Top 20 Best-Selling Albums list of the past decade, according to Billboard. He has appeared in the feature films Crazy, Stupid, Love,The Hollars, Coffee Town, and Muppets Most Wanted, as well as on NBC’s The Office, FX’s It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and CBS’ The Crazy Ones. Groban has released seven studio albums, his 2001 self-titled 5x-platinum debut, 2003’s 6x-platinum Closer, 2006’s double-platinum Awake, 2007’s 6x platinum Grammy-nominated Noel, 2010’s gold-certifiedIlluminations, and 2013’s gold-certified All That Echoes, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, giving Groban his first No. 1 debut and third chart-topper. In 2017, Groban concluded his Broadway run in Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812, which Time Out New York called, “one of the best musicals of the decade”. He also released his first coffee table book, Stage to Stage: My Journey to Broadway. which documented the past two years of his life on Broadway. Groban remains an active arts education philanthropist and advocate as a member of Americans for the Arts Artists Committee and Groban’s Find Your Light Foundation helps enrich the lives of young people through arts, education, and cultural awareness. Currently, Groban is filming for the new Netfilx series, The Good Cop, starring opposite Tony Danza, and working on his eighth studio album due out later this year.

Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of White Cherry Entertainment will return as executive producers of the Tony Awards. Weiss will also serve as director for the 19th consecutive year. 

The American Theatre Wing’s 72nd Annual Tony Awards will air on the CBS Television Network on Sunday, June 10, 2018 (8:00-11:00 PM, ET/delayed PT) live from Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The Tony Awards, which honors theatre professionals for distinguished achievement on Broadway, has been broadcast on CBS since 1978. The Tony Awards are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing.

The official eligibility cut-off date will be Thursday, April 26, 2018, for all Broadway productions opening in the 2017-2018 season. Productions which meet all other eligibility requirements and open on or before the eligibility date are considered eligible for 2018 Tony Award nominations. 

The Nominations for the 2018 Tony Awards will be announced live, by Leslie Odom, Jr. and Katharine McPhee on Tuesday, May 1, 2018, from the New York City Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.

Follow the Tony Awards on Twitter and Instagram for real-time updates on the nominees as they are announced (@TheTonyAwards). The entire announcement will also be available on TonyAwards.com after the event.

# # #

About the Tony Awards

The American Theatre Wing’s Tony Awards are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing. At The Broadway League, Thomas Schumacher is Chairman and Charlotte St. Martin is President. At the American Theatre Wing, David Henry Hwang is Chair and Heather A. Hitchens is President & CEO. Ricky Kirshner and Glenn Weiss of White Cherry Entertainment are the Executive Producers of the 2018 Tony Awards. Mr. Weiss will also serve as Director of the 2018 Tony Awards.

Sponsors for the 2018 Tony Awards include: IBM - develops, designs, and hosts the official Tony Awards digital experience anchored by TonyAwards.com; Carnegie Mellon University – the first-ever, exclusive higher education partner; Grant Thornton LLP – official accounting services partner; City National – official bank of the Tony Awards and presenting sponsor of the Creative Arts Awards; Nordstrom - official sponsor of the Red Carpet; Sofitel New York – the official hotel of the Tony Awards; Rainbow Room - official partner of the Tony Nominee Luncheon; United Airlines – the official airline of the Tony Awards for the last 18 years and People/Entertainment Weekly – official magazine partners of the Tony Awards.